Whether you’re a diehard New Orleans fan, casual football fan, or you just happened to have him on your fantasy team, it was hard to miss Alvin Kamara in 2017. The versatile running back made numerous highlight-reel plays and is sure to be a force in pro football for years to come. He also has a unique sense of style and is making a name for himself off the field as well. We got a chance to sit down with the rising star and talk about what makes him so unique on and off the field.
On-Field Game Changer
Saying that Alvin Kamara had an impressive rookie season is a massive understatement. In 2017, he was the definition of a dual-threat running back, tallying up over 700 yards each receiving and rushing and scoring 13 total touchdowns. He was the ultimate chess piece for the New Orleans offense, since he could line up anywhere in the formation and be a big play waiting to happen.
When we spoke to Kamara, we had to ask how he was able to succeed so much as a rookie. He gave us three key reasons:
- An Intense Training Regimen: You may see him dominating on Sundays, but his success starts much earlier in the week with the extra work he puts in at the gym. “The preparation that I put in during the week gives me the security I need to make plays,” Kamara explained. And when he’s training, he doesn’t waste a second. “I make sure that everything I do has a purpose,” he said. “Every workout needs to translate onto the football field.”
- The Perfect Mentor: When Kamara got drafted by New Orleans, some analysts didn’t like the pick because the team already had a great lead running back, Mark Ingram. But instead of the two of them fighting for playing time, they joined forces and became an unstoppable duo. “Mark definitely helped mentor me,” Kamara said. “I credit a lot of my success to him. He’s the veteran and we play the same position, but he treated me like an equal from day one and we just grinded together.”
- The Right Gear: A versatile, speedy player like Kamara needs dynamic football cleats that can keep up. That’s why he laces up in the adidas adizero 5-Star 7.0. “The adizero fits my style of play,” he said. “They’re light and functional and I get everything I need out of them.”
Off-Field Trail Blazer
Kamara’s personal style is just as unique as his football skills. It doesn’t matter if he’s walking through the tunnel before a game or just chilling during an off day; he always stands out. Here are Alvin’s three keys to boosting your style:
- Being Yourself: The biggest key to Kamara’s style is simple — he always stays true to himself. “I’m just me,” Kamara said. “Off the field, I stand out because I’m not scared to be me. Whatever I feel like wearing, that’s what I wear.”
- Finding That Go-To Fashion Piece: If you want to stand out, you’ve got to have that one added piece that few others have. “Right now, I’m big on messenger bags,” Kamara explained. “So I’ve got a little Louis (Vuitton) messenger bag that I wear a lot.”
- Grabbing The Right Kicks: That being said, before you rock that go-to fashion piece, you’ve got to make sure your shoes are on point. “When I’m choosing an outfit, I start with the shoes,” Kamara said. The adidas Deerupts are a great way to jumpstart your look. “I like them — they’re comfortable,” he said. “They look good. And when you look good and feel good, you play good.”